Pages

Welcome!

Hi! I'm Shana and I want to Share with you a part of my life with this site in the hope that it holds something of value to you - A Solution Shared! May it be a blessing to you!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Make at Home, Fruit and Veggie Wash

Recently, I ran out of Fruit and Vegetable Wash and just didn't want to drive to the location that I originally purchased (Trader Joes) with gas prices what they are, it just didn't seem justifiable to do so when I just had a feeling their must be a natural way to do so from ingredients at home because the ingredients are basically "natural". I tried several fruit and vegetable wash "recipes" and this seemed to be best for my use requirements. The vinegar has natural antibacterial properties and the lemon is a natural astringent. This solution helps break down and remove pesticides so you can feel better about the health benefits than using just plain water.
(NOTE)  Just remember if you are going to wash "soft" skinned fruits such as strawberries, you might add the spray to some water in a bowl to dilute, and rinse well after soaking briefly to avoid any heavy vinegar taste.


Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp lemon juice (from lemon)


  • Combine all ingredients above. (I like to combine into a pourable pitcher). The reaction of the baking soda and vinegar will cause a "cool" bubble reaction or "explosion",as my son says! but will subside quickly :)
  • Pour into a spray bottle with a pump (or a jar with a lid.)
  • Spray mixture on produce and let sit for 5 minutes.
  • Scrub (if necessary), and rinse well.  (Or if just storing mixture in a jar, pour some  into a bowl, add a little water, then the fruit and soak briefly before thoroughly rinsing.)
I like to store this Easy Fruit and Veggie Wash in the refrigerator for a few weeks at a time, then make more as needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment