Pages

Welcome!

Hi! I'm Shana and I want to Share with you a part of my life with this site in the hope that it holds something of value to you - A Solution Shared! May it be a blessing to you!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Save Money Buy Baking Soda - 100's of Uses!

For many years I had not thought much about using Baking Soda for other than the typical uses I was accustomed to such as a leavening agent in baking products, making into a paste for bee stings and sticking a box in the refrigerator to keep odors out. My mom also used to tell me she used it growing up to clean her teeth with instead of toothpaste.


A few years ago I started looking into more economical, healthier alternatives for cleaning and have incorporated more Baking Soda uses around my home. Their is actually a book I recently read that includes over 500 uses of Baking Soda called Baking Soda, Over 500 Fabulous, Fun and Frugal Uses You've Probably Never Thought Of,  by Vicki Lansky, Book Peddlers, 2004


I decided earlier today to purchase a large bag of 13.5 lbs for $5.99 at Costco since I have found so many more uses for it. I would also suggest getting a large bottle of White Vinegar while your there as the cost is much lower and you can use these together to make a really easy household cleaner or if you saw my post from the summer, you can make an easy Fruit and Vegetable Wash using baking soda, water, vinegar and juice from a lemon. Speaking of summer, did you know you can also cool and soothe a sunburn by soaking  a lukewarm bath with a generous amount of Baking Soda? (a half to about a whole box of Baking Soda)


A few new uses I have found are:


  • Shower Cleaner - 1st , clean shower stall doors by spraying with clear vinegar. Let sit a few minutes, then scour with a sponge sprinkled with baking soda. Rinse and wipe or squeegee dry.
  • Burn remedy - You can quickly treat a non-life threatening burn by applying cold cloths dipped in ice water with baking soda added until the burn has no heat. The burn is less likely to blister with this treatment. 
  • Pet Deodorizing - Sprinkle a little in your cat box litter (if it doesn't already have odor control) 
  • An easy Drain cleaner - add Baking Soda (about a cup) down the drain and then add 1 cup hot vinegar (you can heat it in the microwave first). Wait of few minutes before flushing with very hot water (about a quart). Repeat if necessary. This is great for regular deodorizing/upkeep of drains and disposers and avoids harsh chemicals.
  • Auto Interior Cleaning - Great for freshening up your car seats and carpet. Just sprinkle on vinyl seats and wash with wet sponge or vacuum up if fabric. Sprinkle on carpet to freshen and then vacuum. 
Let me know how you use Baking Soda around your home. I will post a Part 2 for Baking Soda uses in the near future as their are so many great ways to use this amazing product!















No comments:

Post a Comment